The Captain of the Ghana Black Stars, Asamoah Gyan, has withdrawn his services from the Senior National team, the Black Stars.
In a press release dated 20th May, 2019 with the heading “DECISION TO RECUSE MYSELF FROM AFCON 2019, EGYPT AND RETIRE FROM THE NATIONAL TEAM”, Asamoah Gyan stated that his decision to resign stems from the fact that the Head coach of the team, Kwesi Appiah decided to make him a general captain whilst he appoints a tournament captain.
However, after discussions with his family and loved ones, he is not happy with the decision and has decided to resign as the Captain of the Senior National team, the Black Stars.
See a screenshot of his letter below…
Meanwhile, revealing more details concerning the issue, sports journalist Saddick Adams took to Facebook to post what actually happened.
See his write up below…
1. Few months ago, coach contemplated dropping him from squad cos he wasn’t playing, was battling injuries and form had dipped.
2. He started playing and was included in a 30-man provisional squad prepared 2 weeks ago
3. Just a couple of days ago, the coach phoned Gyan to congratulate him on his return. It was here that coach informed Gyan of a decision to make him the general Captain of the team whiles another player leads the team on the field at #AFCON2019
4. Gyan obviously didn’t accept decision. The coach however explained that, it was same manner he handed the captaincy to Gyan circa 2012, whiles his senior John Mensah acted as General Captain. The captaincy wasn’t going to be taken from him outrightly. But Gyan asked to be allowed time to think about decision.
5. After some two hours, Gyan returned the call and told coach he won’t accept the decision once he is around and fit, he must be captain. But coach stood his ground.
6. On Monday, Gyan’s name was part of the final squad for the tournament. However, he has decided to quit the Black Stars.
The coach will announce his squad for the tournament on Tuesday 21st May 2019.
Credit: Saddick Adams