Have you heard of GASTRITIS?
What is Gastritis? Have you ever wondered the causes and its treatment? Well SOCIETYCLINIC is here to get you informed and well educated on this topic.
What is GASTRITIS?
Gastritis is the inflammation or erosion of the mucosal lining of the stomach.
Acute gastritis involves sudden, severe inflammation. Chronic gastritis involves long-term inflammation that can last for years if it’s left untreated.
Acute and Chronic Gastritis
Acute Gastritis it can occur suddenly and for a short while and if left untreated it comes Chronic Gastritis and can last for years.
Causes of Gastritis
- Extreme alcohol consumption
- Routine use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and aspirin
- Cocaine use
- Age, because the stomach lining thins naturally with age
- Tobacco use
- Hot food
- Several burns, major surgery
- Food items that irritates the stomach lining
- over eating
- eating too rapidly
Other less common risk factors include:
- Stress caused by severe injury, illness, or surgery
- Autoimmune disorders
- Digestive disorders like Crohn’s disease
- Viral infections
Symptoms of Gastritis
Gastritis doesn’t cause noticeable symptoms in everyone. The most common symptoms are:
- A feeling of fullness in your upper abdomen, particularly after eating
- Epigastric pains
Dietary Guidelines for Gastritis
- Eliminate food irritant
- Avoid spices like pepper, chilli powder, ginger and black pepper
- Avoid caffeine like cola drinks, coffee
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid lactose
Take foods like:
- High-fiber foods such as apples, oatmeal, broccoli, carrots, and beans
- Low-fat foods such as fish, chicken, and turkey breast
- Foods with low acidity, or are more alkaline, like vegetables
- Drinks that are not carbonated
- Drinks without caffeine